Friday, April 5, 2013

30in30, Day 5: "Wanderer"


I could leave here.
The thought expands in my chest like a bubble;
it rumbles in my mind. 4 tires on gravel.
Highway unspooling behind me;
a filling station at 2 in the morning,
bad coffee and white like epiphanies blinding me.

I have a certain affinity for leaving things behind,
see.
I have left pieces of myself in churches in Kentucky,
just laying around for anyone to find.
Bus stations, train depots:
Indianapolis, Minneapolis,
Chicago.
Airports in Atlanta, Philadelphia,
Detroit.
Spare rooms. Even a S'barro once,
in a plate of cold spaghetti.

There is not enough map to contain me.
I am not so much a woman as a restless creature,
sleeping with one eye open.

One night I'll eat the zookeeper,
and break apart the cage.

--T.A.B. 4-5-13

No comments:

Post a Comment