Thursday, April 11, 2013

30in30, Day 11: Asleep on the Job


Asleep on the Job (Or, Misadventures in Pain Management)

My bones have begun to fissure, and someone has taken a hammer to my knees.

My eyes are heavy in their sockets. Even my socks ache, where they smother my feet.

The atmospheric pressure is slowly crushing me to the floor;

Several inches have been subtracted from my height, with more to follow.

I need a nap now.

I'll just put my head on the desk for a moment that'll become half an hour.

It's the medication.

I ration it, but sometimes my fortitude fails me;

the little yellow pill siphons my energy away and fills my head with gravel.

This is preferable, considering the alternatives:

A sack of cement in my gut, for instance.

A dagger to the collarbone, maybe.

Or would you rather I fill the office with the lovely scent of vomit?

Perhaps I should've stayed home today.

Perhaps I should stay home tomorrow, and the day after that


And the day after that.

T.A.B 4-11-13

1 comment:

  1. Dig it. Nice word usage, especially "gravel."

    I very much enjoy the correlation to organized crime and gangsters giving your body a what-for.

    ReplyDelete