Wednesday, April 3, 2013

30in30: Day 2. "Song of the Midsummer Sprite"

I slaved over this piece for going on 2 hours last night. It doesn't have the epic sweep I was going for, but at least I finally hammered out the rhyme scheme. (I don't usually do heavily structured pieces; it was a challenge.)


A At 7 of an 'even, when the sky is yet light
B And the sun sinks low in the west;
A As the owl in his hollow prepares for flight
B And the otter and deer welcome rest;

A As the poplar and birch whisper songs of the night
B And the shadows begin to grow deep;
A Then comes she forth, Midsummer's sprite
B On silent and capable feet.

A She wears a cloak of gloaming hue
B And hood cut from the same;
A From 'neath it looks an eye of blue
B And one as gray as rain.

A She turns her head this way and that
B And looks, and then she goes;
A She leaps as graceful as a cat
B And lands upon her toes.

A Through the trees she makes her way
B Over root and stone;
A Where she's to, no one can say
B And always she's alone.

A Do not try to train your eye
B To trace her 'long the trail;
A You'll join the throng, with maddened cry
B Of others who have failed.

A Midsummer's sprite  is rare to see
B And seems a matchless jewel;
A But he who tries to Squire be
Is just a witless fool.

A He who follows in her tread
B Won't catch her by surprise;
A She hears thoughts before they're said
B And sees through ev'ry guise.

A
There's Magick in that mismatched gaze
A One eye watchet, one eye haze;
B And he who takes its measure in
B Will never see the sun again. 


I had some serious fun with this. The challenge was great -- it's been a long time since I've marked the beat of a piece by snapping my fingers! And I learned a new word, watchet, synonymous to blue.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, I should be reading these every day instead of at a clip!

    Beautiful job here.

    I may be using it for book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? That would be so awesome! I'd be so honored!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent! You, Tif, are a genious!

    ReplyDelete