Sunday, April 14, 2013

30in30, Day 14: "Your Bio Makes You Sound Like an Ass"

This little ditty makes me sound like a bitch, but the other one I wrote today made me sound like a clinically depressed fat kid (wait ... never mind ...) so it was a toss-up.


Like those actors at the Grammys,
thanking God for their success.

Oh poet, the first thing you did when your ship
came in was fill the hold with beer.
We all know it. We were in the line behind you,
eyeing up the wine.

(Last time I was published, I drank mine from the bottle and toasted
my genius as if it were alive and celebrating with me. Then I put on a ball cap
and sang made-up adagios in the shower. Published is power. Power can be dizzying.)

Poet, get with it! Don't be so pretentious.
If you must plan obeisance, do it in private,
someplace where there's less chance you'll irritate the rest of us. 

T.A.B. 4-14-13

No comments:

Post a Comment